the power generation

Growing up in 1970s Britain was hardly a bundle of laughs.

General strikes, the 3-day week, winter of discontent and, the thing I remember most, constant almost nightly power cuts meaning no electricity, no TV or radio and reading by candle light.

Looking back, I suppose the power cuts were fun.  Fun that is if you could ever find a candle in our house which had to be the most disorganised place on earth.  You would have thought, well I would anyway, that if you were going to have a power cut every night that you would stock up on candles and put them somewhere easy to find in the dark.

But my home growing up was not organised.  If my parents ever bought a new electrical appliance, then a plug would be removed from something else to power it.  And it was the same during the power cuts.  No batteries for the torch we couldn’t find and no bloody candles when needed.

Whatever.

This was brought back to me the other night when we had a power cut.  Now these are really rare these days so instead of being fun it was a right pain in the rear.

I was enjoying “Springwatch” on the BBC when BANG – no power.  A check of our fuse box showed this was indeed a power cut so there was nothing to do but wait.  And wait.  With no internet. 

NO INTERNET!!!!!!!

And then when the power came back on my lovely but very ink thirsty printer went into a full set-up and cleaning procedure using what seemed like gallons of my precious and priceless ink.

But the stark contrasts with my experiences when growing up were clear. We were organised, knew what to check, had a functioning torch, a drawer full of candles and the means to light them, and I didn’t need to take a plug off the iron to turn my printer back on when power was restored.

Would I want to grow up in the 70s again?  Of course I would.  It was my decade, my music, my radio and my TV.

When it had a plug on it.


you never lose your looks....


Comments

  1. Aw....what a cutie! I TOTALLY get the printer thing!! Why does it have to suck down sooooo much ink???? Arrrggghhhh! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been missing You TUbe videos from you. Will you be posting soon, or are you not feeling up to it currently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lou
      It's been a bit tough to make videos lately as I've been feeling too exhausted to make anything of any quality or length. I did try to film a short video to explain I'd be taking some time away but even that proved a bit too hard!!
      thanks for watching though and I hope to have something up on YT on printing images shortly
      Nick

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts