dear me

Following on from last Thursday’s cheery rambling, I’m following up with yet another thought-provoking broadside at modern life and all its pleasures.

Last month, and clearly with way too much time on my hands, I decided to re-organise the way I store my computer data.  You know, stuff like music, movies, pictures, video files, documents. The stuff we all “produce”.

I still even had a folder on my computer with all my old work documents in it.

So, I set about moving everything I wanted to keep onto external drives and archiving everything else onto DVDs.  And I was chuffed with my achievements.  All my iTunes stuff is on one drive, and all my creative media (pictures, videos, words, etc.) is on another.  These are then backed up to another set of hard drives.

It was when I sat back and proudly reflected on a job well done that it hit me. 

There, on those two tiny 500GB solid-state drives and a couple of DVDs is “me”.  The sum total of everything I’ve ever done in my life.  It gets worse though, as in all honesty with a bit of housekeeping it would fit on just one.

So, there it is.  My legacy. All neatly contained in about fifty cubed centimetres and a couple of USB cables.

Depressing or what?

flesh, blood and silicone chips



Comments

  1. Ummmm.....aren't you forgetting some OTHER things that are your legacy......????? ........all the people you've touched in your lifetime......things, time, objects, ideas, you've given to people......your sympathy to someone who needed it.......a gentle touch or a kind word that may not have meant much to you but was a lifeline to the person you said it to.........your daughter.........need I go on? You may not know what you've meant to someone but your impact is still there whether you know it or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts